cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 MTU issure

Jia Hao
Level 1
Level 1

As the Pic below, It says that C1 can send the packet to C2, and the SW's port 2 would not do the fragment, but I still don't get it.

MTU

I thought MTU liked  the size of the pipe, if set the MTU = 1514, it means that the pipe size is 1514, every frame bigger than 1514 should not pass through.

And would the layer 2 switch check the FCS field in layer 2 frame ?

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, the picture says that, but that doesn't guarantee the picture is correct.

What it shows, if the (Juniper?) EX4200 supports, is poor practice, i.e. having (it appears) two ports on the same switch with the same VLAN with different MTUs.

I would expect a switch to drop a too large MTU frame on ingress or (L2) egress, but perhaps an EX4200 has some "quirk" that it doesn't enforce port MTU, for (L2) egress, if the frame is already within the VLAN.

Hi Joseph,

I just want to know how does the switch process the packet when the packet is bigger than the MTU of the switch's interface.

From this Pic, it appears that the switch would forward the frame and don't check the MTU in the egree interface.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card