Views
Helpful
Replies

Learning OSPF, need help

bhaizlett123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just started learning cisco and ospf and have some questions on they way it works and what should be done.

I have a GNS3 network that i built based on this diagram that i found:

I have adjencecies with all routers, and i have assigned loopback addresses to all routersas well, X.X.X.X (X = Router #) but what i can't understand is the following:

1. For router 3, what area would i add the loopback network to? Area 0 or Area 123?

2. How can Router 4 get the loopback network of Router 1 without adding a static route

3. Do directly connected interfaces get distributed into OSPF automatically without me having to put network statments, because thats what seemed to happen, only without the loopback networks?

4. In this particular diagram, how would i add default gateways, i know i can add default-information originate, but what i can understand is where would it distribute it to, meaning if i had a default gateway on router 4 to router 7, how would router 6 know what its default gateway should be?

1 Reply 1

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1) you can put it in any area but if you have a specific requirement then do so

2) by using a network command that encompasses this prefix or by redistributing connected interfaces not encompassed by a network command

3) No they don't unless you redistribute

4) this command will get the router on which it is configured advertise a default route( a default route is only a particular route but it is a route nonetheless)

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card