Views
Helpful
Replies

LOOPGUARD OVER POINT TO POINT WAN LINKS

jeffreywatson
Level 1
Level 1

So I have a question about loopguard over point to point WAN links

If at Site A we have Rtr-A to Switch A  ( Vlan 1)    OVER WAN   Switch B ( Vlan 1)  Rtr-B

I think we do have spanning tree enabled on the switch ports so one side is the root bridge.

There is more to the network than this - but the short story is that during a failover condition the point to point link

can become saturated for several minutes by multicast.And i have noticed that the Switch port puts the Switch A ports in LOOP INCONSISTENT  state  which it eventually recovers.

So I'm guessing we're temp not getting BPDU's back and forth.

Should I disable Spanning tree on the point to point links - or just disable loopguard or enable BPDU Filter ?

There are no other devices on the segment.

If SW A is the root port for the segment and stops receiving BPDUs for max age -  will it go into LOOP INCONSISTENT state also just like a non desig or Alt port will?

thank you

j

2 Replies 2

Hello

Yes it will -

As SW-A is the root port so that will be one receiving the bpdus from SW-B Designated port as you so rightly stated

When the port stops receiving the bpdu, STP will think your network is loopfree and transition another alternate or backup port into a forwarding state thus loopguard will kick in on this root port as it will see the potential loop and put into an inconsistent state.

I wouldn't suggest disabling stp or removing loopguard, but maybe some storm control for multicast

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you

just curious but if these are point to point links then what benefit is loopguard?

I can understand leaving SPT enabled just in case.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card