Views
Helpful
Replies

Major Internet Issue !help

T1success
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Please I will appreciate any help from you to resolve this major internet problem.

I am not sure if this is a virus issue or a problem on the network.

But one thing is certain good router configuration can resolve the problem and advice from the house will resolve the problem.

This is the issue

I have a server that some machines get resources from (not internet resources ).Once this server is on the network all system times out .Interestingly one can browse few website like msn only, other sites will not open.

Please what can I do

(1) To isolate this system

(2) Allow system that needs resources on the server to be able to get access to this server

(3) Allow access to all web sites

I will appreciate your speedy reply.

Best Regards

18 Replies 18

Perhaps you have an IP address conflict then?

Not much else could explain the behavior you're describing, if each client uses the router as the default gateway and this problem occurs when you turn on the server...

Pls check on your firewall if you are running out of licenses. e.g. if your Firewall is a Cisco ASA with a Base License of say 10 users and you have more than 10 mac addresses on the LAN accessing the internet all outbound traffic through the firewall will be cut off. No traffic will be passed to the outside then. This a possibility worth checking.

rkalia1,

That's a very good suggestion. I ran into that problem years ago with PIX 501s that only had the 10 or 50-user licenses.

What I found out then, was that even though there were less than 10 devices on the network, a couple of machines had trojans on them. The trojans were filling up the ARP table, and thus using up the licenses!

That issue almost drove me mad! :-)

Hi all,

Good News!Thanks for your contribution.

Am gradually getting to the root of the problem.I am using macaffe ver 8i.we activated the spy ware/malware setting and the problem was temporarily solved as the server in question did not stop internet access (just for 4 days).

The problem returned again.But it is clear that the issue is a spy ware/virus issue .But what am not clear is why should block internet access to all the system.(Pls let the house advice )

But,why and how can a single system block the whole access to internet.How can the router resolve the whole issue .How can i allow port 80 to be accessed freely by other system ie the command to use to ALWAYS allow all the other ip address assigned to other system to use port 80.

Pls advice.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card