cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Manage Various Switchs by CLI

martin.germano
Level 1
Level 1

hi all, i need to manage a lot of switchs from cli. For example: change the summer time, or config with Kron the backups. These probably can't make it in CNA.

Exist a Cisco's software to make this by CLI ? Or some none cisco SW?

Thanks

Martín.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To optimize your work you could script it.

Or you can use a terminal-program that can send your input to many sessions at the same time. Thats how I do bulk changes. I log in to all needed devices, tell my terminal to broadcast my input to all sessions and copy the new config into one of the sessions. At the same time it gets also into the other sessions.

I think SecureCRT on Windows is capable of that. On the Mac I use iTerm2 for that.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

That’s a broad question that is going to invoke many various responses.

Most of us manage lots of switches, and I don’t know anyone who uses CNA (Cisco Network Assistant). The magic with Cisco is the IOS, and to effectively manage Cisco gear, including switches, one needs to know IOS.

Why do you think you need additional software; what is it you are trying to do that cli wont already do for you? What process or processes do you want to automate/streamline?

You mentioned changing summer time. I too do this, but it is automated within the switch configuration.

!

clock timezone CST -6

clock summer-time CDT recurring

!

You also mentioned backups, I am assuming you mean cisco device config backups. Now for this process I use a wonderful, fairly inexpensive product called CatTools (by SolarWinds). The software automatically logs into each device every night and copies the switch/device configuration to a central file server. It will also alert me if the config has changed since the last backup. It has a bunch of other functions as well. Definitely worth looking at.

hi johnson, thanks for reply.

I mean, i feel comfortable with cli, but when i have to make the same commands in 20 switches. Maybe is a little tedius make copy/paste in all. I'm new on these and I try to find a better way.

Thanks.

To optimize your work you could script it.

Or you can use a terminal-program that can send your input to many sessions at the same time. Thats how I do bulk changes. I log in to all needed devices, tell my terminal to broadcast my input to all sessions and copy the new config into one of the sessions. At the same time it gets also into the other sessions.

I think SecureCRT on Windows is capable of that. On the Mac I use iTerm2 for that.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thanks for the Tips Karsten. I found MTPuTTy with scripting, it works for me now, later maybe buy SecureCRT.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card