Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

migration to vss for 4500E

Hello community!

I have one 4507R+E with dual Sup7L-E (ADV-Enterprise) and one 4506E with Sup6L-E. A want create wss so I have several questions.

Q #1: New software release of Sup7L-E still need to have identical number of slots in vss chaises? No plans to change this in next versions?

Yes - No

If Yes, I need to purchase one chaise 4506E. Transfer booth Sup7L-E from 4507R+E to different 4506E

And make a configuration of 2x 4506E with Sup7L-E in booth chaises.

And Q#2. Can I transfer both Sup7L-E (ADV-Enterprise) from 4507R+E to different 4506E and keep license level of both Sup7L-E  as ADV-Enterprise.

TNX for answers!

Sergiy.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sergiy,

Q1-In order for VSS to work, you need to have identical sups in each chassis with identical software and license. There are no plans to change that.

Q2-Legally no, but talk to your Cisco sales rep about that. They can probably help you with a solution that is cost effective.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sergiy,

Q1-In order for VSS to work, you need to have identical sups in each chassis with identical software and license. There are no plans to change that.

Q2-Legally no, but talk to your Cisco sales rep about that. They can probably help you with a solution that is cost effective.

HTH

dkalinsky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Sergiy

Q1 - Here is a hardware requirement for VSS in IOS XE 3.5.0E:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/XE3-5-0E/15-21E/configuration/guide/config/vss.html#pgfId-1053927

As you can see your Sup7L-E is supported here.

And here is an information about Assymetric chassis support for VSS in IOS XE 3.5.0E:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/XE3-5-0E/15-21E/configuration/guide/config/vss.html#37306

So, with IOS XE > 3.5.0E you can built VSS between assymetric chassis.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card