cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixed Switch Stack Upgrade

Merlin1392
Level 1
Level 1

Oh wise and wonderful Cisco Community...This should be easy, but I can't find a similar situation.  I have a single stack with 2-3750g-48ps switches and 1-3750x-24p switch.  I'm running c3750(?)-ipbasek9-mz.150-1.SE3.bin on all three switches.  I want to upgrade to 150-2.SE9.bin.  The "G" switches just get C3750... and the "X" switch gets c3750e....  What are the CLI commands to make this happen?  I have both .bin versions on my TFTP server?

THanks

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If using the BIN file only, then copy the respective BIN files straight to the appliance.  

copy tftp://<TFTP IP address>/filename.bin flash1:

copy tftp://<TFTP IP address>/filename.bin flash2:

copy tftp://<TFTP IP address>/filename.bin flash3:

This is only part of the answer.  I copied the .bin file to all of the switches, then set the "boot system switch # and new .bin file".  I ran the same command on each switch.  After I reloaded the stack only the first two came back.  The third (3750x) is no longer present in the stack.  I'm working remotely, so it's a BIG problem now.  That's why I was looking for help.  I assumed I did something wrong in the command set.

See, here's the thing:  If I was to upgrade a stack of mixed switches, I would NEVER set the boot variable string.  I would also ensure that there's only one IOS in each member of the stack so when the stack reboots the switch member will only boot one IOS.

Okay, I'll give that a go.  I don't suppose there is any way to remote the "lost" switch at this point?  I'm sure it has two ios files on it.  One old, one new, and the variable was set to new, but maybe that didn't activate and left the old image which isn't compatible with the new stack.  If there's no way to remote, then a road trip is in order.  Thanks for your replies!

I don't suppose there is any way to remote the "lost" switch at this point?

Nope.  Once the switch is in ROMmon it's not possible unless it's connected to an IP-based console server. 

Be thankful the "dead" switch is a 3750X because there's a USB port at the back.  If you have the correct USB stick you should be able get the 3750X to boot the IOS from the USB stick (while in ROMmon).  Just use the command "boot usbflash0:IOS.bin".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card