cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

module provisioning on 65XX

wholemans
Level 1
Level 1

i have a 6506-E with Sup32 in which i want to replace the Sup32 with a Sup720-10G. In the same chassis there are also 2 16-port GBIC boards.

I want to keep downtime to a minimum and i have a spare 6506-E chassis but no spare GBIC boards. My idea was to copy the config to the new Sup in the spare chassis and then power down and switch supervisors.

Will the config of the interfaces on the gbic boards be accepted by the new supervisor or will it refuse the config info of the not existing interfaces ? I know you can provision eg FWSM blades, is it also possible for interface boards ? If so, what is the command to do so ?

Greetings,

Wim Holemans

University of Antwerp

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

wholemans wrote:

i have a 6506-E with Sup32 in which i want to replace the Sup32 with a Sup720-10G. In the same chassis there are also 2 16-port GBIC boards.

I want to keep downtime to a minimum and i have a spare 6506-E chassis but no spare GBIC boards. My idea was to copy the config to the new Sup in the spare chassis and then power down and switch supervisors.

Will the config of the interfaces on the gbic boards be accepted by the new supervisor or will it refuse the config info of the not existing interfaces ? I know you can provision eg FWSM blades, is it also possible for interface boards ? If so, what is the command to do so ?

Greetings,

Wim Holemans

University of Antwerp

Wim

From memory no it won't accept it because when you try to configure the interface it won't be there to configure. You will probably have to copy and paste once you have inserted the new supervisor. If you do, do it a bit at a time otherwise i have seen it overflow the console buffer and then you aren't sure exactly where you are.

To be honest the extra time involved is minimal compared to the time it takes to boot up with the new sup and test the modules.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card