cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mr. Charles

charlesfonkem
Level 1
Level 1

I own an 1841 cisco router that I use for my trials.  Out of curiosity I pulled out the card behind to observe it, I then put back the card and tried to connect again to the router from the console using teratem and it will not work.  It boots displaying some funny characters and will not receive any key stroke from the keyboard any longer.

What should I do to solve the problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is not much detail here to work with. But the description that it displays funny characters during boot up suggests that the speed of the console port was changed. You could try changing the speed in your terminal server, starting from 1200 and working up through 2400, 4800, up to 115000. Note that with some terminal emulation software that you may need to stop and re-start your terminal emulation software after you make the speed change to have the software actually use the new speed.

If you do find a speed that works and allows your console connection work you may want to change the console speed back to its default of 9800. Look for the setting of the config register (on a line near the bottom of the output of show version). The default setting is 0x2102. If it is some other value then you may want to go into configuration mode and change the configuration register.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is not much detail here to work with. But the description that it displays funny characters during boot up suggests that the speed of the console port was changed. You could try changing the speed in your terminal server, starting from 1200 and working up through 2400, 4800, up to 115000. Note that with some terminal emulation software that you may need to stop and re-start your terminal emulation software after you make the speed change to have the software actually use the new speed.

If you do find a speed that works and allows your console connection work you may want to change the console speed back to its default of 9800. Look for the setting of the config register (on a line near the bottom of the output of show version). The default setting is 0x2102. If it is some other value then you may want to go into configuration mode and change the configuration register.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

charlesfonkem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard, thanks for the solution.  I moved the speed to 19200 and it worked but I still can not understand why the change of speed now, because I have been using it all this while at speed of 9600 without problems.

Thanks and warm regards

Charles.

Charles

I am not sure exactly what you did or why that caused the speed changed. I can not say why it changed but can address what to about the fact that it did change. The first thing I would do would be to check the value of the config register in the output of show version. If it is not 2102 then you need to set it to 2102 (expressed as 0x2102). If the config register is already 2102 then I would do a show run and look under line con 0 and see if something is configured there.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card