cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multicast on 6500

S891
Level 2
Level 2

I have to enable multicast on the campus network. My network mainly consists of 6500s in Access and Distribution/Core on IOS 12.2(33)SXJ6 code. 

Some of the multicast traffic will be within vlan while some inter-vlan. There is no specific vlan for source and destination and it can be anywhere. 

What would be the simplest and best way for this setup? Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

4 Replies 4

herferna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fawad,

the easiest method would be to configure IGMP snooping in your switched network it does not really need much configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipmulti_igmp/configuration/12-2sx/imc-igmp-12-2sx-book/imc_constr_sw_eth_nw.html#GUID-FA7D1641-6895-4A2B-ABFA-F17419943969

the Link mentions the respective details

Regards

From what i see multicast works without any issue and without any configuration if both source and receivers are within a vlan. I can see advantage of having igmp snooping there. 

But what about multicast on SVIs between inter-vlan? Would it not require some sparse dense mode and other configuration based on multicast type? 

If you are running multicast between vlans, you need to enable sparse/dense mode on the SVIs. Example; If vlan 10 is the source and vlan 20 is the for receivers, you need to enable sparse/ dense mode for both vlan 10 and 20.

HTH

Yes it does.

You need to enable PIM on all the SVIs you need multicast routing between.

If you use sparse-dense mode then you should configure at least one RP and this would be on your distribution 6500. You can either statically configure the RP or allow it to be discovered dynamically, up to you.

If it is all on one switch or a pair you may want to just do it statically.

Use a loopback IP for the RP and don't forget to enable PIM on the loopback as well even though there is no actual multicast traffic going across that interface.

You can also if you wanted have a second RP, it really depends on how complicated you want to make it.

IGMP snooping should be on by default unless you have explicitly turned it off.

If you do a quick internet search for "multicast configuration cisco" there are a number of quick start guides with examples but if you have any more queries please feel free to come back.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card