cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast problem.

andrea.meconi
Level 2
Level 2

I'm using IGMP Snooping Querier to support IGMP snooping on more than one vlans where PIM and IGMP are not configured because the multicast traffic does not need to be routed.
On another vlan, I'm receiving multicast traffic (I'm not able to be more specific about this type of traffic) from a router and this traffic should reach host on the same vlan.
Enabling the querier on this vlan does not solve this issue: "receiver does not receive".
I'm waiting for a capture or more detail about this multicast traffic.
I'm thinking about some restrictions about IGMPv3, like the querier is not compatible, MAC multicast not into groups 0100.5e00.0001 to 0100.5eff.ffff.
Any ideas?

Using 6500 with VSS, IOS 12.2

Regards.

Andrea

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andrea,

>> On another vlan, I'm receiving multicast traffic (I'm not able to be  more specific about this type of traffic) from a router and this traffic  should reach host on the same vlan.

If that router is a multicast router (and it should be if it forwarding multicast traffic )  you don't need the IGMP snooping querier in that specific vlan it can be performed by the router itself

IGMP snooping querier is a subset of features and does not deal with PIM DR election so it shouldn't be used on that vlan

as a starting point you can also disable IGMP snooping on that vlan to see what happens

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ciao Giuseppe.

You are right!

This was my first action...without success.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Andrea

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card