cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mystery Log Entry

ccannon88567
Level 1
Level 1

I had one of my local data vlans blip this morning - Has anybody seen this error before? Looks like some type of memory issue that caused the drop but I have never seen this before?

.Jun 30 08:45:56.152: %SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 1680 bytes failed

from 0x17AFC8, alignment 0

Pool: I/O Free: 5080 Cause: Memory fragmentation

Alternate Pool: None Free: 0 Cause: No Alternate pool

-Process= "Pool Manager", ipl= 0, pid= 5

-Traceback= 1C3F4C 1C55A0 17AFCC 1D6444 1D668C 1E6AA4 1EA0D0

.Jun 30 08:45:57.052: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan2, cha

nged state to down

.Jun 30 08:47:09.381: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan2, cha

nged state to up

.Jun 30 08:47:34.398: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan2, cha

nged state to down

.Jun 30 08:48:54.108: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan2, cha

nged state to up

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carlton

3 Replies 3

crow930us
Level 3
Level 3

From Cisco's Output Interpreter I can offer this:

Explanation: This device has recorded a %SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: error message. This error indicates a memory allocation failure. Memory allocation of [dec] bytes

failed from [hex], alignment [dec] Pool: [chars] Free: [dec] Cause: [chars] Alternate Pool: [chars] Free: [dec] Cause: [chars] The requested memory allocation is not available from the specified memory pool. A memory allocation failure occurs in one of these situations:

- The current system configuration, network environment, or possibly a software error may have exhausted or fragmented the router's memory

- When the router uses up all available memory (temporarily or permanently)

- When the memory is fragmented into such small pieces that the router cannot

find a usable block. This issue can occur with the processor memory or with the packet memory. This error can occur due to a variety of reasons that include:

* Incorrect configuration

* Too many features enabled for a small amount of memory

* A single process that consumes more memory

Recommended Action: Begin to troubleshoot with a check on the process that the error message mentions. Submit the output of show process cpu and show memory commands to Output Interpreter to check whether the process consumes more memory. If you are unable to reproduce the error message, you can ignore the error message.

They also recommend this doc: Troubleshooting Memory Problems http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a6f3a.shtml

hth

Thanks for the information crow.

The issue was caused by a broadcast storm, somebody had created a loop with non cisco l2 switches (No STP).

The PID refer's to "Pool Manager" which I assume is packet memory which overflowed due to the storm.

Pretty much a self caused DOS Attack...

woot woot

I got my first star!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: