Views
Helpful
Replies

N5K-5672UP NetFlow Performance

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to enable Netflow on N5K-5672UP and send it to my Netflow analyzer to detect the DDoS attacks but before that, i want to know if that switch has a built-in in chipset or ASIC for Netflow or not.
If i enable Netflow during high and volumetric DDoS attacks it does not affect the switch CPU performance?

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Can somebody help me on this subject?

pman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I want to enable Netflow on N5K-5672UP and send it to my Netflow analyzer to detect the DDoS attacks but before that, i want to know if that switch has a built-in in chipset or ASIC for Netflow or not.

this device support with Sampled NetFlow:

Table 9.        Software Packaging and Licensing

License Package

Part Number

Features Supported

FabricPath Services Package: ENHANCED_LAYER2_PKG

N5672-EL2-SSK9

N56128-EL2-SSK9

FabricPath

FCoE NPV Package: FCOE_NPV_PKG

N56-FNPV-SSK9

FCoE NPV

Layer 3 Base Services Package: LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG1

N56-BAS1K9

Unlimited static routes and maximum of 256 dynamic routes:

●  Static routes
●  RIPv2
●  OSPFv2 and OSPFv3
●  EIGRP stub
●  HSRP 2
●  VRRP 3
●  IGMP v2 and v3
●  PIMv2 (sparse mode)
●  VRF-lite
●  RACL
●  Network Address Translation (NAT)

Layer 3 Enterprise Services Package: LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG4, 5

N56-LAN1K9

N56-LAN1K9 license includes the following features in addition to the ones with the N56-BAS1K9 license:

●  BGP
●  PBR
●  Full EIGRP
●  PIMv2 (all modes)
●  Layer 3 IS-IS 6
●  uRPF
●  MSDP
●  Sampled NetFlow
●  VXLAN flood and learn

Network Services Package: NETWORK_SERVICES_PKG

N56-SERVICES1K97

●  Cisco Remote Integrated Services Engine
●  Cisco Intelligent Traffic Director (ITD)

Storage Protocols Services Package: Fibre Channel_FEATURES_PKG

ENTERPRISE_PKG

N56-12P-SSK9

N56-16P-SSK9

N5672-72P-SSK9

N56128-128P-SSK9

●  Native Fibre Channel
●  FCoE
●  NPV
●  Fibre Channel port security
●  Fabric binding
●  Fibre Channel security protocol (Fibre Channel-SP) authentication

VM-FEX Package

N56-VMFEX9

Data Center VM-FEX

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/datasheet-c78-730760.html

If i enable Netflow during high and volumetric DDoS attacks it does not affect the switch CPU performance?

The device should be preconfigured with COPP to prevent attacks from impacting performance (in case of high rates of traffic destined to the supervisor module or CPU itself).

More on the subject at the following link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5600/sw/security/7x/b_5600_Security_Config_7x/b_6k_Security_Config_7x_chapter_01011.html

NetFlow can cause high CPU loads, to prevent issues with the control plane the following limitations apply:

• NetFlow can be configured in the Ingress direction only 
  • NetFlow packets that reach the CPU are not policed by the ASIC

If extensive traffic is supposed to pass through the device itself then I would recommend setting up Sampled NetFlow

Sampled NetFlow reduces the amount of export data sent to the collector by limiting the number of packets that create flows and the number of flows. It is essential when flows are created on a line card or external device, instead of on the forwarding engine.

Take into account that excessive sampling should be avoided as it increases the amount of exported flow data, especially on the high-speed links, where the network traffic volume is high

More on the subject at the following link:

NetFlow

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5600/sw/system_management/7x/b_5600_System_Mgmt_Config_7x/configuring_netflow.html

Sampled NetFlow

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5600/sw/system_management/7x/b_5600_System_Mgmt_Config_7x/configuring_netflow.html#concept_B27322E2A74549A599151970A18B8F93

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card