cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

N7k OS upgrade with USB

ewood2624
Level 5
Level 5

Has anyone tried to upgrade the 7k via the usb ports off of the SUP?  If so, is there any special formatting needed for the usb drive or any instructions on how to do it?

4 Replies 4

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Do you want to boot directly from image from USB? I think it would be better to copy image from USB to SUP flash and then reload it. Did not hear about specific formatting for that - knows that not all flashes might be recognised. So just try that - and again recomend to just copy image from flash to internal bootflash and the do upgrade.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

I've tried three different USB drives and all three weren't recognized by the SUP. I was trying to find a quick way to copy the image from the USB to the bootflash, but it still doesn't work. I did get it to copy using FTP though. Maybe I need to find one of those cheap, virus-ridden USB drives from one of our vendors and maybe that will work.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Right,

I did not find particular link but there might be some USB vendors not supported. Try to use not very big sized USB drives (e.g. try not much than 1 GB).

Nik

HTH,
Niko

ewood2624 wrote:

I've tried three different USB drives and all three weren't recognized by the SUP.  I was trying to find a quick way to copy the image from the USB to the bootflash, but it still doesn't work.  I did get it to copy using FTP though.  Maybe I need to find one of those cheap, virus-ridden USB drives from one of our vendors and maybe that will work.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Did you see anything in the log?

What format were the USB sticks in? I believe Cisco still only supports FAT-16 for USB, which means that the default FAT-32 or NTFS on most USB sticks won't work.

According to Cisco, you have to use their specific USB drives

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6247/prod_module_series_home.html

There is lots of anecdotal evidence to the contrary, though.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card