cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT between same device IP addresses

JussyJay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys/Gals, wondering if anyone can help?

I need to NAT several IP's to a PC that have the same IP ranges (see diagram).

I normally use Stratix switches which make life easier as they have separate command called l2nat but cisco switches do not have this (apart from IE200 etc).

I have to use NAT as the Machine 20/21 ip address can not be changed so i need to NAT the machine 1 192.168.1.10 to a 172.16.10.x IP and machine 2 192.168.1.10 to a 172.16.20.x IP

Image 311.png

This is only a simple version as I just want to try and get this is work before deploying.

Thanks in advanced

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If both the device connected to same Switch and same VLAN, the solution will not work you have duplicate address.

Why do you need to same IP address same VLAN, why not 1 device do both functions ? what is the use case here.

If you like to connect same IP, you may need VRF kind of separated (but not sure your switch can able to make it or not)

So i am  more in interested to learn what is goal of this, why there is Duplicate device required same IP address ?

#

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Cheers for the reply.

They are not on the same VLAN, Machine 20 is VLAN21 and Machine 21 is VLAN21.

This is an industrial network not corporate and basically the IP address of the machines cannot be altered so they have to stay as is.  As in post this is not an issue with switches that support l2nat command but we don't have those switches on site.

So I was wondering if this can be done through C3850-12S or C2960XR-24TS-I switches.

I do not believe with that given model you can not do any NAT here, that is switches,

you need an additional device in the network which can take care of NAT, May be try any Rasberrypi industrial-based to do that job for you.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

@JussyJay wrote:

So I was wondering if this can be done through C3850-12S or C2960XR-24TS-I switches.

Nat isn't supported on either of those switches.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

JussyJay
Level 1
Level 1

Cheers guys, looks like we will have to purchase some Cisco IE or Rockwell Stratix switches to make this happen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card