cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a solution about to direct network storm

rockbd
Level 1
Level 1

am not a network guy. that why i need a suggestion.

Recently our network got migrated(have more then 100 access layer switch) on the process all the new switch port are open. After couple of week our network got slow suddenly when i inform out network engineer they inform me network storm is happening and the reason he is giving to me that as all switch port are open and one/more then one endpoint are causing this problem. Then i ask him which endpoint is creating this problem he inform me that i have check with wareshark and it will take some time.

My question is is there any tools or system to view/detect this type of problem instantly like a dashboard. Or have t approach this type of scenario with conventional approach like identify the switch then run the wareshark etc.

Waiting for a reply.

2 Replies 2

Hello,

I am not sure of Wireshark will be of any use. With a hundred access switches, this is going to be tedious no matter what.

I would first configure storm control on all ports, you can use the interface range command to speed this up. Whatever port gets shutdown is likely the culprit:

storm-control broadcast level 10.00

storm-control action shutdown

Also, you can do a 'show interfaces' command with the following syntax, this will list all ports and broadcast traffic for those ports:

SW1#show interface | include (.*Ethernet*)|(.*broadcast)

Thanks for the reply.

I think our network engr. is doing that.Also i will check that if they done your said solution.

But i want a tool which can give e graphical representation or a dashboard view of my network and which access or distribution switch is the main culprit if possible which port is the main villein. Is there any Cisco or third part tools/software for monitoring or discover the incident 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card