reyzhao02468
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I am doing a HSRP project for two locations. involved devices:
Dist: buic010-dist-aca01 | cumm111-dist-aca01
Access: harr032-290es02

See attached picture.

The current configured trunk link is from harr032 to buic010. We want to make redundancy, by connecting harr032 to cumm111 as well. Then, configure HSRP for this scenario.

The problem is, some VLANs that are currently trunked to buic010 and their VLAN interfaces are already in use on cumm111 for other subnets. For example, VLAN 152. This means, in order for me to configure HSRP, I will have to create a new VLAN on all of these 3 devices, say a new VLAN 153.

If I am to implement this without any service disruption, I was suggested to physically wire 2 ports on the harr023 switch, one port to be vlan 152 access port, the other one is vlan 153 access port, to make them into the same broadcast domain. But I am not sure about the steps it takes to make it work (need your suggestions), and not sure if there is another way of doing this.

See attached picture.

Thank you,
Ray

1 Reply 1

Hello

Not so sure I understand this topology - Are your distribution switches connected to core switch(s) if so you dont need hrsp on the distribution, STP will transition one of the the access uplinks as root port and the other as a block/alternate port and upon failure of the root port the alternate port will immediately  transition into a forwarding state.

Now when you mention HRSP for these distribution switches its suggesting that both of them shown in your picture are running multiple SVI interfaces and acting are core switches?

Can you please clarify?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card