Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Help For SG350 Inter Vlan Routing Basics

rb85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all together

Im new with Cisco Switches. I need help to configure inter vlan routing.

I already did some basic configuration on the webgui first. I took me 1 week to realize there is a advanced config setting :/. 

Eventhough im not able to configure inter vlan routing.

First of all my config. I created 3 vlans just for testing. 200 Computer, 300 Printer, 400 Server. I checked the checkbox dot1q.8100.

image.png

I configured IPs and enabled ipv4 routing.

image.png

I configured the ports like this:

image.png

image.png

First of all I dont understand, what happens if i check or uncheck the pvid checkbox? Whats the diffrence between checked and unchecked?

When I now put two devices into the same vlan, they are able to ping each other. If I put them in diffrent vlans, they are not able to ping each other but every device can ping the gateway of the other device's vlan! 

What do I have to configure for intervlan routing? 

thanks much

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Under IP Configuration, IPv4 Interface, is IPv4 Routing is enabled?

Hi, thanks for your answer, yes it is checked, like on picture 2 shown.

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @rb85,

I hope this video can help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJTUH2nNB8o

Regards

Hi

Thanks for your support and video link. Its a good video, the switch model is another but the GUI is very similar to my sg350. I nearly did my configuration the same way he did it in the video with one difference, all ports of my switch are configured as "general" ports and not "access" ports. I will change it tomorrow to "access",  and Ill report, if this solved my problem with the "inter vlan routing" but I think thats not the solution for me. I will report tomorrow. thanks for help so far.

All ports that connect to end devices (laptops, printers, PCs, etc..) should be configured as access ports and in the proper vlan.

HTH

Hello all again

I modified the port settings from "general" to "access". But no change. Still can ping the gateway address from the other vlans, means i can ping from my device in the vlan 192.168.1.0/24 the vlan ip addresses 192.168.3.254 and 192.168.4.254 but no ping is possible to any device in other vlans for example from device 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.3.100 in the following picture shown. 

ping.png

sorry i did a mistake in my previous post, I mean 192.168.2.0/24 (not 192.168.1.0/24)

Hello again

do i have to configure the ports as layer3 switch port mode to do inter vlan routing?

It would help if we had better understanding of your environment. But in general the ports where devices connect would be configured as (layer 2) access ports and assigned to appropriate vlans. Then you would enable routing for those vlans. Also you would need to be sure that the devices connected to those ports had configuration of IP addresses and gateways that match the vlan and subnet used for that port on the switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick

Thanks for your reply. All the ports are configured as access ports and assigned to a vlan. I just can find one option to enable "routing". Under section "ip configuration, IPv4 Interface" there is this option "enable ipv4 routing" and this box is checked. Nevertheless i cant ping devices in other vlans. In the same vlan no problem, but in the other vlans i'm not able to ping.

Of course all the devices connected to the L3 Switch have static ip's in the vlans they're in. For example the notebook in the vlan computer 192.168.2.0/24 have the gateway address of the vlan (192.168.2.254) and an own ip like 192.168.2.100 for example.

Hello again

It's was the windows firewall. Don't know why. The ping between the devices within the same vlan worked eventhough the firewall was enabled on the notebooks, so i thought why should it be a problem between two diffrent vlans? But it works now. Still don't know why but its fact. What a loss of time.

Thank you for the update telling us that you have solved your own problem. And +5 for that. It is gratifying when someone posts a problem in the community and then is able to find their own solution.

After I saw your previous response confirming that ports were configured as access ports, etc but still had the problem I did wonder about the possibility that it might be windows firewall. And then I saw your other response confirming that it was windows firewall. The best explanation that I have is that probably the windows firewall believes that a ping from within the same subnet is probably safe but a ping from a remote subnet is suspect.

Glad that you have it resolved.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card