Views
Helpful
Replies

Need sanity check on loop configuration

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've got two stacks of two 3750-E series switches, I want to create a redundant loop between the stacks via the fibre uplinks. So lets say stack one has:

switch1

switch2

And stack 2:

switch3

switch4

I'm thinking of running a multimode fibre cable from switch 1 to switch 3 and a nother fibre cable from switch 4 to switch 2, thus makinga redundant loop. My question is do I need to run a fibre cable from switch 1 to switch2 and equally one from switch 3 to switch4 or will the backbone 3750 connection take care of the switching between them?

Thanks in advance

Dan

My question is that do I need to buy fibre connecti

1 Reply 1

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dan,

What is the final topology that you have. What is the distance between these two stacks.

If you want to connect these two stacks for redundancy, I would suggest to configure the links as an ether-channel link. This will give you both redundancy and load-sharing with aggregated bandwidth.If distance is not so much then you can use the ethernet cable. If you have a larger distance, then you have to buy SFP GBICS for fiber connectivity. 3750-E comes with a TWIN-GIG converter to get installed in the 10GE port and give you the SFP connectivity.

Also, if you have backbone 3750 switch in the connectivity,it depends howz the connectivity is there in the topology and the kind of config that we have, the traffic will flow accordingly.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card