Views
Helpful
Replies

Need suggestions for a Distribution Switch

cisco.khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need a suggestion, which distribution/aggregation fiber switch will be fine to replace the media converters with a fiber switch. Currently, we have 12 media converters at aggregation site and all these media converters are connected to a Huawei S12708 core switch via a HPv1910 switch. The HPv1910 switch is connected to Huawei S12708 core switch through one pair fiber cable. We want to replace all media converters with a Cisco Fiber switch. Could anyone please suggest a Cisco fiber switch? We also want to replace all HPv1910-24 port switches with 48 port manageable Cisco switches. Please find attached the current topology with this message. Your suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

You could select a Cisco switch 3850-24S-S (24SFP ports + other 4 if you use a module) Picture or WS-C3850-24S-E model in order to avoid not be limited by ports or you could select a modular switch like 65XX or 68XX. To replace the HP also I recommend Cisco 3850 or 3650. Below you can find the switch models of Cisco 3850.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/models-comparison.html

Also this link could be useful to select one depending of your requeriments, like performance, throughput or costs.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/switches/cisco-switch-selector-how-to/index.html?utm_source=www.uoota.com

Please rate the comment if it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

Hi

You are welcome  :-)

About the question, Cisco has announced the end-of-sale and end-of-life for that 3750X model, the 3850 is a new one and a robust switch compared with the 3750X-24S-S.

Unfortunately I dont know about the performance of the huawei switches. On your design I see point of failures, in a future if you are considering to replace the huawei access switches, I recommend create network stacks and use 2 switches for distribution layer, please let me attach and example:

If Im not wrong you can have until 9 switches connected in stack and it will look like only one logically.

Hope it is useful

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

You could select a Cisco switch 3850-24S-S (24SFP ports + other 4 if you use a module) Picture or WS-C3850-24S-E model in order to avoid not be limited by ports or you could select a modular switch like 65XX or 68XX. To replace the HP also I recommend Cisco 3850 or 3650. Below you can find the switch models of Cisco 3850.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/models-comparison.html

Also this link could be useful to select one depending of your requeriments, like performance, throughput or costs.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/switches/cisco-switch-selector-how-to/index.html?utm_source=www.uoota.com

Please rate the comment if it is useful

Tusind thanks, Julio! :)

What about 24 ports Cisco Catalyst 3750-X fiber switch (WS-C3750X-24S-S)?

And what about if we directly connect offices to Huawei 12708 switch. We have 22 free fiber sfp ports in it. Any disadvantages? Please find attached the topology.

Hi

You are welcome  :-)

About the question, Cisco has announced the end-of-sale and end-of-life for that 3750X model, the 3850 is a new one and a robust switch compared with the 3750X-24S-S.

Unfortunately I dont know about the performance of the huawei switches. On your design I see point of failures, in a future if you are considering to replace the huawei access switches, I recommend create network stacks and use 2 switches for distribution layer, please let me attach and example:

If Im not wrong you can have until 9 switches connected in stack and it will look like only one logically.

Hope it is useful

Hi Julio!

Many thanks for the time and for the useful information. I will take your suggestions into consideration when designing the network topology. We are in a process to redesign the network topology of our organization. I will share with you the whole network topology. So maybe I bother you again :) 

Have a nice weekend ahead! 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card