cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network connection fail

iansmith0287
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any reason why a PuTTY would not ssh remote into some Cisco switches? PuTTY works for every other switch, with the exception of our 9200L Cisco switch. I keep receiving this error: "Network error: connection timed out".

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Either SSH (access)  is not correctly configured on the 9200L (presuming this is the protocol you are trying, or there is an intermediate firewall blocking SSH access , you may for instance try to ping it. (For  telnet same arguments apply)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

are you using mgmt-vrf for VLAN you want to access ?
this VLAN can not access from any other port excpet the mgmt-port. 

There is much that we do not know about this environment and that impacts our ability to give good advice. If you provide more detail we may be able to be more helpful. Here are a few things to start with:

- do you have IP connectivity to that switch? (ping is typically how to answer this but other ways are possible to verify connectivity).

- are you sure that SSH is enabled on that switch? If you have any other access to that switch the output of show ip ssh would be very helpful.

- as @marce1000 suggests it is possible that some firewall along the path is preventing the ssh. Is there any type of firewall along the path?

- some versions of code require stronger encryption protocols. Is it possible that the switch you can not access is requiring stronger protocol? Can you ssh to the switch from some other devices in your network (other switches or routers)?

- does telnet to the switch work?

- do you have access to the configuration of that switch? If so seeing certain parts of the config would be helpful. For example are there any restrictions configured on the vty (access-class for example)?

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card