Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network interface bouncing after switch upgrade on single Ubuntu machine

We recently swapped out our Cisco 2970 access switches with a 4500 series switch.  No one on the network noticed anything except for a single user running Ubuntu (95% of our users are OS X users. The only other Ubuntu user in the office is not experiencing this issue either).

From the user's perspective, their ethernet network connection is simply not available, similar to it being plugged in to a shutdown switch port.

While the machine is booting, before Ubuntu finishes loading, the network card is active, and the switch sees an established link.

Once Ubuntu finishes booting, the network card no longer holds an establishes connection to the switch. Watching the interface stats on the switch I can see it going from an Up state to Down, sitting on Down for a couple of seconds, very briefly flicking back to Up and repeating.

On the Ubuntu side it says the network is disconnected.

We're found a weird work around, where by plugging this Ubuntu machine directly into a neighbour's MacBook pro, setting a static IP on each machine, ensuring ping between the two machines, then plugging the Ubuntu machine back into the switch and changing the static IP back to DHCP assigned. Once this is completed the Ubuntu machine holds a solid connection with the switch.

As soon as the user reboots their Ubuntu machine, this process must be repeated before the network connection is stable.

The user is running Ubuntu 14.10, a Realtek NIC and we're running Cisco 4500 IOS 15.0(2)SG8.

On the old 2970 switch this user (with the same Ubuntu setup) had no issues.  That was running IOS 12.

Any thoughts?

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Any thoughts?

My main thought is I applaud you for finding such an inventive workaround :-)

It sounds almost as if the OS just gives up on the network card until you force it to use it by configuring a static IP and pinging.

I assume you have portfast configured on the switchport although even without it I wouldn't really expect to see those exact symptoms.

It does sound a little like a speed or duplex mismatch but that wouldn't explain why your workaround fixes it.

When the machine has booted do you see it's mac address in the switch mac address tables and does the arp table on the machine show anything ?  

What you could try doing is using SPAN on the switch to mirror the port to another unused one where you can attach a laptop with a packet capture tool to see exactly what is happening when the machine is booting. 

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card