Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5672UP High Availability

JaimZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

First of all, since I'm absolutely not an expert on switching, my questions would be a bit... stupid. Sorry about that if it is the case.

On our platform, for high availability purpose, we have pairs of Catalyst 3650 (CISCO WS-C3650-24TS) connected using a dedicated stack cable (C3650-STACK-KIT).

Now I try to figure out if it would be possible to proceed the same with Nexus 5672UP.

I mean: can we create pairs of stacked Nexus 5672UP? Are dedicated cables and licenses needed for that?

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

vPC is available out-of-the-box. No need for any license.

HTH 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

First of all, since I'm absolutely not an expert on switching, my questions would be a bit... stupid. Sorry about that if it is the case.

No question is stupid.

I mean: can we create pairs of stacked Nexus 5672UP? Are dedicated cables and licenses needed for that?

No, you can't stack the Nexus series switches just like you do with the Catalyst. In Catalyst world, when you stack switches, the stack logically become one switch, so you are basically managing one device. In the Nexus world, you can build high availability/redundancy by deploying vPC, using 2 switches but you are still managing 2 different devices with 2 different IPs. You would also need to configure each device separately. 

See link for more info on vPC:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5600/sw/interfaces/7x/b_5600_Interfaces_Config_Guide_Release_7x/config_vpc.html

HTH

Hi Reza

Thank you for your answer.

Now it's clear to me.

One more question: is vPC feature available out-of-the-box with Nexus or do I have to buy a dedicated license?

Best regards

Hi,

vPC is available out-of-the-box. No need for any license.

HTH 

[ AIRBUS DEFENCE AND SPACE INTERNAL ]
Hi
OK, thanks !
Kind regards
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card