Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5K image upgrade

Cisco Freak
Level 4
Level 4

Hello All,

I have a few queries related to doing an image upgrade in a Nexus5K(N5K-C5548UP) switch. The switch is currently running system and kickstart image 5.2(1)N1(1) and it has vPC configuration. I need to upgrade the switch to 7.3(7)N1(1b).

Software
  BIOS:      version 3.6.0
  loader:    version N/A
  kickstart: version 5.2(1)N1(1)
  system:    version 5.2(1)N1(1)

- Cisco recommended to use the system image version '7.3(7)N1(1b)' but they didn't specify the kickstart version that I should upgrade to. I couldn't find the exact kick start version '7.3(7)N1(1b)'. Does anyone know what is the kick start version that I should use?

- I am going to use the command “show install all impact system bootflash:///n5000-uk9.7.3.7.N1.1b.bin” and "show incompatibility system bootflash:///n5000-uk9.7.3.7.N1.1b.bin" to validate the impact of installing this new image. Is there any other command available to make sure there is no impact from upgrading?

- I am going to use "install all kickstart <kickstartimage.bin> system n5000-uk9.7.3.7.N1.1b.bin" command in switch to install the new image. Do I have to manually change to boot statement manually? Current it has these lines in the config : boot system bootflash:/n5000-uk9.5.2.1.N1.1.bin , boot system bootflash:/n5000-uk9.5.2.1.N1.1.bin

- Once one switch in the vPC is upgraded, then one device will be running 5.2(1)N1(1) and other will be 7.3(7)N1(1b) until I install new image in secondary switch too? Will this difference in image version cause any issues to vPC/or anything else?

- In the vPC which device should be upgrade and reloaded first? I am planning to upgrade 'operational secondary' device first. Does that make a difference?

CF

2 Replies 2

Cisco Freak
Level 4
Level 4

Any help would be appreciated!

CF

Hi,

I don't see '7.3(7)N1(1b) but I see both kickstart and system for

n5000-uk9-kickstart.7.3.8.N1.1.bin

n5000-uk9.7.3.8.N1.1.bin

This above is also the recommended version by Cisco.

Is there any other command available to make sure there is no impact from upgrading?

show install all impact system bootflash is the right command you are using.

Do I have to manually change to boot statement manually?

No, when you use the install all command, there is no need to change anything manually.

Will this difference in image version cause any issues to vPC/or anything else?

No, you can have 2 different versions for a short time until you upgrade the other switch. This is not an issue.

In the vPC which device should be upgrade and reloaded first? I am planning to upgrade 'operational secondary' device first. Does that make a difference?

I think starting with operational secondary is the correct way.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card