cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no ISP access on Catalyst 2960

pcfreak49
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series switches, I created a vlan 1 to 10 and a subnet with a DHCP server that hands out IP address that works but can not connect to the ISP who can help with so I'm using the internet switches ?

12 Replies 12

N W
Level 1
Level 1

I dont get what you mean? you created 10 vlans? or 2 vlans 1 and 10?

Where did you create them? The 2960 will not route traffic, you will need to connect them to  a layer 3 device to hit the internet.

the switches is connected to the modem that connects to the ISP

on the switches, there is an active DHCP server which hands out ip address but the switch ports that works but I can not connect to the ISP, have access-lists applied but that is not how you let your internet traffic through the switches

How does the modem know about the address on the switches in each VLAN?

How does your traffic route to the ISP modem?

where is your gateway for each VLAN? it should be on a layer 3 device

If I switch the default much less than the switches get a public IP address of the modem and works, then I can on the internet, but if I use a private ip address vlan I can no internet connection

What you need is a Layer 3 switch or create sub-interfaces on a router for each VLAN.

You will not hit the intenet for 2 reasons, you have no way to route from a privte address to the public address and if you do route you will need to NAT the traffic on the router/modem so that the traffic has a return path from the internet.

Get a cisco 800 or 1800 series router to sit in front of your 2960 and connect that to the ISP modem.

how can a public IP address to assign a vlan, so you can connect to the ISP, and that you can leach into the remote switches

You cant do that!

If you had enough public IP address and assigned it to a VLAN and then each PC on the network had a public IP address, you could route out to the internet. But that brings security issues, RIPE or IONA will get you to change it for not using IP address's correctly.

To get this working correctly.

you will need to create sub-interfaces on a router 1800 series, connect that to a trunk port on the 2960, assign access ports as you need for each VLAN.

Traffic will leave the PC's hit the switch then on to the router, from there route the traffic to  the outside and NAT  it so that traffic can flow back to the router and back to your PC's

follow Noel's instructions

Joel _______________________________ Please rate helpful posts and answered questions!

No that is not the intention is the intention to connect to the router to the switches and nothing to do with a vlan as a public ip address in order to connect to the ISP and I just can remotely switch on liquors via telnet and ssh to my studies

Sorry dude, I may be getting totally confused in what you are looking for, maybe I'm misunderstanding your english

But understand the basics.

2960 are layer 2 switches and will not route traffic.

Private IP address are not routable on the internet.

All traffic routed to the internet needs to be NATted behind a routable public IP address.

In order to get a VLAN to talk to the internet you need a private address connected to a layer 3 device to routed/natted to the public address then off to the internet

no, it is the public ip address that I want to connect to ISP, get it a layer 2 switches, that is okay but through the public ip address would it?

you can connect a switch using the default vlan (1) and connect it to the modem and connect a PC to it. Give the LAN interface of the modem a public IP address and the PC a public IP and it will work.

you wont be able to create more then 1 vlan unless you have public IP on different subnets, DHCP cant work as that gives out private address, unless you own your own ISP.

what you need is private address's to route to the public then on to the ISP, which means you need a router or layer 3 device.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card