Replies

No memory available: Update of NVRAM config failed! on Cisco router 6503

sendtomela1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a router running BGP and it recently cannot wr:

Router#wr
%No memory available: Update of NVRAM config failed!
Router#
Dec 7 17:44:22 GMT: %SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 1964024 bytes failed from 0x405AEE48, alignment 0
Pool: Processor Free: 36522040 Cause: Memory fragmentation
Alternate Pool: None Free: 0 Cause: No Alternate pool
-Process= "Exec", ipl= 0, pid= 65
-Traceback= 413C03C4 413C9E94 405AEE50 405AEE04 4055970C 405307C4 4238567C 4055E628 413AAEF0 413AAEDC

I tried to google this and found that most of the case are because running out of memory but i believe my router should have enough memory of that.

I would like to ask if we soft-reset BGP will it help in this situation?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey bgp hammers memory are you taking a full table in ? You could have a leak either in memory software , can you post show ver please

Try this might quick fix allow you to save until you sort your memory out squashes config in nvram might free up something

service compress-config

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-121-mainline/6507-mallocfail.html

I dont know if soft-reset will help you here as it will pull back in all the same prefixes, a reboot is what i would be looking at out of hours free mem completely reset it , if its a leak it will reset the buffers as well and to me you have traceback alerts which are never a good sign nearly always point to bug or leak

Hi Mark,

sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(33)SXJ, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 17-Mar-11 15:10 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Tried to run the command you suggested in this way

Router#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#service compress-config
Router(config)#exit
Router#wr
%No memory available: Update of NVRAM config failed!
Router#

Have i ran it wrongly?

Thanks

yes thats correct command your mem must be completly maxed , missing some of sh version part with the dram , are you taking in full bgp table fron the internet ?

The fact even if its a bug you will need to reload and upgrade, if its once off mem issue you will still need to reload its the only fix for maxing out memory you cant just tune it back down. TAC will tell you the same thing.

MALLOCFAIL and tracebacks together are usually leaks , can you post the show memory in a text file try an see whats causing it

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card