Views
Helpful
Replies

Non-Cisco PoE device not working on C9200 but IE4010

bselcuk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have some trouble with about 100 PoE devices which fulfill IEEE 802.af specification on paper but not working correctly.

The power consumption per device is almost 1W (class not specified by producer) and the switches says they are class 1 devices WHEN they are recognized.

The cables are CAT6 S/UTP between 40 and 100 meters. I think some of the cable jacks are defect and this could explain the problems, but recent tests has shown that the same PoE device is not recognized by C9200-24P-4X switch even when connecting directly with a 2meter cable to the switch. There is no power inline configuration, therefore it is configured as auto.

We also have a Cisco IE 4010-4S24P switch where the PD gets power as soon as it is connected with the same cable.

I was not able to check the config on this switch yet, but will do it. However, my guess is that the negotiating fails between C9200 and the PD such that no power is coming.

Has anyone a idea for me? Can I force the power delivery? I think it's the power inline static [max mw] command, isn't it?

Firmware are 17.3.3 and 17.6.3 on the C9200 switches (6 pieces). I did not set this up and just get into this project, and I would update all firmware to the same level. However, that it works with the 4010 series is confusing me.

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may find this document useful : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/215636-troubleshooting-power-over-ethernet-poe.html , especially take note of https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/215636-troubleshooting-power-over-ethernet-poe.html#anc7

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I know exactly the reason why this is happening. 

IE4k is running on "classic" IOS -- This is the same IOS that powers 2960X/XR, Cisco Micro Switches, Catalyst 1000, etc.  Catalyst 9200 runs on the buggy IOS-XE, aka Polaris, which me and my officemates call "LOTUS" because it stands for "Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious". 

There are several known IOS-XE bugs affecting 9200 with QoS enabled and it causes a lot of trouble and one of them stops PoE from delivering to the port(s).

CSCvz54607

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

there is required for the code upgrade on the switch's on  deferent code that is not affected hitting this bug.

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCvz54607 

Thanks,
Jitendra

bselcuk
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your answers. Unfortunately, your tips and links didn't help me. I checked the PoE troubleshooting and tried different things, but nothing changed. Also, I am unsure that the Cisco IE4010 is _really_ working better than the newer C9200 models. I plugged out a cable from IE4010, plugged in a device which was not working on C9200 and it worked there. Then, I changed from port X to port Y, it didn't work anymore. I placed it back to port X, it didn't work either.

There is no really pattern how it is working and how not. I tried to configure a port to:

no cdp
no lldp transmit
no lldp receive
speed 100
power inline static
power inline static max 10000

but the port does not come online. I also found an error message:

%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi1/0/22: Power given, but State Machine Power Good wait timer timed out

It seems, that the device does not answer on the PoE offer. Maybe the devices are not correct implement for PoE. I found on the internet some similar information that devices with the same chip (WIZnet W5500) go up when auto mdix is enabled. Could this be an issue? Otherwise, my next try would be to use another PoE switch from a different brand. 

@bselcuk wrote:
Could this be an issue?

No, it is not. 
The issue is the buggy IOS-XE code.
And be careful about enabling both LLDP and CDP.  This may work with "classic" IOS but it is no longer "recommended" to have both enabled when operating in IOS-XE environment.  

I was ask for the firmware upgrade not provided any tips.

Read my statement above upgrade firmware 

Thanks,
Jitendra

Sorry, but I have trouble to understand your comment. I have read this bug and I am not quite sure if there is a connection between PoE and this QoS. Do you mean to update the firmware? One switch already has 17.6.3 firmware

For you understanding would suggest you open a TAC ticket and let them know the issue and ask for this bug.

Thanks,
Jitendra

hjhjhjhjh.png

the different that IE 4010 is support PoE+/PoE
the C9200L series support PoE+
so if you device is support 802.3af ONLY then it not work with C9200L.
check this point

@MHM Cisco World wrote:
so if you device is support 802.3af ONLY then it not work with C9200L.

No, that is not correct.  

All Catalyst IOS-XE switches can/will support 802.3af (<15.4 wac).  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card