cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

non-recommended Boot mode

Rich davis II
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded my 3650 ios to cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.05b.E.152-2.E5b.bin. When I reboot, I'm receiving the following error message:

The System is using a non-recommended Boot mode.
Not all features may be available in this boot mode.
Please check the product configuration guide.

How can I clear this error?

2 Replies 2

Palani Mohan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rich

With the arrival of IOS-XE, Cisco is offering two ways for the OS to load. Loosely speaking, these are:

• packages mode
  • bundled mode

Think of "bundled" as how traditional IOS images were loaded from flash to DRAM. You copy the image to flash, modify the boot statement to point to this image and after reload, the bin image is loaded to DRAM.

In packages mode, we go through the "install process" where the contents of bin file are extracted to flash and the OS is loaded from the extracted packages. Details on howto do this documented here

While IOS-XE has been around since ASR1000s, the 3650/3850s are the first platforms that complain when you pursue the bundled mode. Essentially, there is no harm I could see, reading through the documentation I cited about running in bundled mode. It is what we are used to, all these years and there is no visible benefit (as of today) to migrate to the newer way of installing IOS(XE).

I hope this helps .... Palani

Thank you for the explanation. Very helpful.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card