Views
Helpful
Replies

Not seeing devices on other switches

don.bunt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have about 6 cisco switches connected in a network that I have been asked to take over. The switches just have the basic initial setup with an ip address assigned to vlan 1 on each switch. The switches have a total of 40 cameras on them. The camera server was on one switch and was seeing all the cameras. I moved the server to my office and ran a cable to the nearest switch on the camera network about 75 feet away and now I only see the cameras that are on the switch that I ran the cable to.. Does anyone know why I am not seeing the other cameras on the other switches? 

3 Replies 3

nalonsopresidio
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Don, sounds like you are missing a vlan on some of the switches' vlan database, or on the trunk. If the switches are daisy chained (not recommended), ensure vlan 1 is what all the Camera ports are assigned to. They may have used vlan1 for management only (not recommended to use vlan 1 at all), and added a specific vlan just for video traffic. If that vlan tag is missing on any of the switches or being pruned out of the trunks interconnecting the switches, you'll only be able to see the locally connected cameras.

Would the issue be on the switch I am connected to or the others? Also what would be the correct setup for the trunk?

Can you post the show run interface output for the trunks and the show vlan output as well? Will need that for the switch which has the cameras you can't see and the one you extended the cable to.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card