Helpful
Replies

On Management port and VRF-Mmgt

MetCW_2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Some queries

on the newer switch eg C9300 the management port are peg to vrf, so the routing table separates.

for the old model like 2960X the management port isnt peg to VRF so they are sharing the same route table since there is no vrf

So if were to configure OOB using the management port for above 2 scenario, C9300, is using vrf so OOB routing is separate from data routing.

What about the 2960x? assuming there are 3 vlan on it and i want to do a OOB using the mgmt port.

OOB mgmt port IP-192.168.0.1/24, and then i just use command ip default-gateway 192.168.0.2 ?

Thank you for reading/assisting

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

for the old model like 2960X the management port isnt peg to VRF

Are sure about that. I thought the mgmt port is in a VRF. Can you post "sh run" from one of the 2960X switches?

HTH

Nope there isn't, I have a 9300 where there is a vrf configured in but not for the 2960X

So why the difference in the management port for this 2960 without vrf while the new model management port are in the vrf?

I thought management port default will not intervene with the routing so I wonder why the newer need to be in vrf

>....I wonder why the newer need to be in vrf

Because it is more secure.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

On the newer switch platforms, Cisco is separating the data plane (main routing table) from the management plane. This way, the routing tables are completely different and if there is a data plane issue with the device, you can still log on to the management port.

It also gives you the capability to have 2 default gateways, one for the out-of-band management interface (in a VRF) and one for the global routing table.

HTH 

Thanks

So for the 2960X seems like the management interface shares the same routing table as any SVI configured.

Reason for asking because I have a "DMZ" switch and currently managed via SVI. So moving to management port for OOB management seems to do no justice since it's the same global routing table instead of a vrf

- That's the reason that for a DMZ-switch, you could use a modern device that offers a separate VRF for the management port, that way it can be managed through an Intranet-switch-management-vlan as I do it , with less  concerns for 'bad sleep'  (smiley noted).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card