Helpful
Replies

OS Firmware upgrades

CMax
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just a quick question:

I have a   WS-C3750G-12S on 12.2(44)SE2 (IPSERVICESK9)

I wish to purchase a referb as a backup. Can I upgrade the following device easily and for free to be the same version as above?

WS-C3750G-12S-E on ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Craig

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I recall (?) the original 3750 series came with a "lifetime" hardware and software guarantees (this to make them competitive with other vendors' SMB devices on the market, at that time). I also recall (?) Cisco later revoked the lifetime software upgrade policy.

To the question in your other post, whether the older IOS version can support the newer version's IOS config, that would depend on whether any of the later release features were used. If the configure is very basic and simple, you might be okay.

BTW, unless you purchased the refurb unit from an authorized reseller, or Cisco, I believe, technically, you have no license to run the installed software.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You can upgrade if you've got a valid Service Contract.

Hi Leo,

Thank you for the quick reply.

This is a new site that I'm looking after. Their Cisco equipment is rather old and they no longer have a service contract. 

I'm new to Cisco equipment, but can see that having some spare equipment on standby could be of help if disaster strikes.

I know it might not be possible to give a definitive answer as it may vary with every setup, but do you think that its probable that the switches would be compatible running the slightly different versions above?

(the site has OSPF enabled with every building on its own VLAN and subnet)

I'm not going to give any guarantee. I avoid using those IOS versions.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I recall (?) the original 3750 series came with a "lifetime" hardware and software guarantees (this to make them competitive with other vendors' SMB devices on the market, at that time). I also recall (?) Cisco later revoked the lifetime software upgrade policy.

To the question in your other post, whether the older IOS version can support the newer version's IOS config, that would depend on whether any of the later release features were used. If the configure is very basic and simple, you might be okay.

BTW, unless you purchased the refurb unit from an authorized reseller, or Cisco, I believe, technically, you have no license to run the installed software.

Thank you Joseph for your helpful and informative reply.

I might be given an old switch from a school that has closed. It will only sit on the shelf as a failover spare, I hope that doesn't break any licensing laws.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card