Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer problem with ping

Jane_
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco community,

I am having a problem with pinging between PCs, i have created my VLANs and assigned IPs and Gateways and done intervlan routing and everything seems right, yet when i ping it always gets timed out. if someone could help me with this i'd highly appreciate it. or just guide me on where i should look to fix it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I deleted the port security and reapplied it, I have full connectivity (see file attached). I am not sure in which order you entered the commands, my order was:

switchport port-security

switchport port-security maximum 2
switchport port-security mac-address sticky
switchport port-security violation protect

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

What are the passwords for the devices ?

sorry, first mode is cisco second mode is project

Hello,

there are numerous issues with your setup:

1. You need to create subinterfaces on GigabitEthernet0/0 on the router that match your Vlans. This is required in order to have inter-Vlan routing

2. The IP address spaces of Vlan 70 and 60 were overlapping, as were the IP address spaces of Vlan 10 and 30

3. The switches need a default gateway

Find attached the corrected, working file that should provide end to end connectivty. That said, some of your switches are missing passwords, you might want to add those, for security reasons.

Hello, 

Thank you so much 

but does this file have the same problems? 

Hello,

your main switch looks misconfigured. At the very least, the interface connected to the router, GigabitEthernet0/1, needs to be a trunk. What are you trying to accomplish, what are the requirements ?

Is the file I sent working ?

This is my first course in networking, but to my understanding the requirements are to create 7 VLANs one of which is management, and achieve end to end connectivity.

the file you sent worked which I'm thankful for, but when i apply port security, pings are unsuccessful, once again.

Hello,

I did some testing, simply configuring port security on the switch ports does not break connecivity. It is one of the additional commands that does that, my guess is that it is the sticky mac address you have configured. Try and add the additional lines one by one to find out which one is the culprit...

what do you mean by adding additional lines?which lines?

i tried - no switchport port-security mac-address sticky

in order to add the mac-addresses one by one (which is what i initially understood from your comment)

but that doesn't seem to be doing anything because the addresses are still there, i get a duplicate address message

Hello,

is port security a requirement ? Just configure the ports with 'switchport port-security' and nothing else, that should still allow for full connectivity...

Hello,

Unfortunately port security is a requirement.

Here i made all the changes you mentioned, can you check it ?

Hello,

I deleted the port security and reapplied it, I have full connectivity (see file attached). I am not sure in which order you entered the commands, my order was:

switchport port-security

switchport port-security maximum 2
switchport port-security mac-address sticky
switchport port-security violation protect

Sir thank you so much, I have checked the new file you sent and it works.

I really appreciate your help and time

was that the only change you made? because I'm really interested in knowing why mine didn't work.

I tried the port security delete and Retry But that  Had no effect..  The problem ended up being that even though I corrected the IP address, An IP address that I had tried before was still in the "show running config" memory .. You need to go in to the CLI and remove the old IP addresses ( "no ip address 1xx-xxx-xxx") from memory ..Even if you change them on interface hey're still there the running config and it gets confused..  You must do it from the CLI.. Good luck.

Just give erase command and then reload command on the router and then say no to restore previous commands and then re configure the router and then routing after that you can use it as the problem arises due to overloading.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card