Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance Monitoring Cisco 350x Switches

cre8toruk
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

I need some help measuring "performance" on my Cisco 350-x infrastructure. My boss keeps telling me "this user and that user" is having problems due to "congestion on the network" whatever that means right?

Any way I figure I need to gather evidence to disprove this theory.... 

I have a stack of 4 Cisco 350X-48's stacked by fibre gbics and I note I have access to some cool looking graphs in the RMON options under Status & Statistics, but I'm not overly sure what it is telling me. I figure I need an interpreter which is why I'm here!

I can select a port (of a user who's complaining about issues) and I can see the graph for the day... but what do all the check boxes mean ? e.g. Frames of 64 bytes, 65 - 127 etc etc ? If I tick them all I get a nice graph, does that show me the "traffic" on that port over that period of time? If there's a peak of over 100000 Frames on the 64 bytes line between 11am and 1pm is that bad ?

If I go to Port utilisation and select the same port then select last day as the option it all seems to be 0% utilised on TX & RX do i have to enable something to see some traffic (which there must have been?)

Sorry if this is all basic stuff but I'm a bit in the dark as to how to determine or prove whether there is or isn't an issue with the kit, quite apart from all the other possible reasons for it there might be.

All the best.

Paul.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Your boss is probably is looking for some sort of graph to see the utilization

you may want to use a free software like cacti for now. See below:

https://www.cacti.net/

HTH

Hi and thanks for replying... that's great but the 350's already have a bunch of stats and performance data, it's just that I don't really understand it.

I'll take a look at Cacti though.. thanks again.

Paul

Hi,

Sorry, I am not familiar with the SG-350x series switches but Cacti should be able to help with some graphs for your boss for free.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card