Helpful
Replies

Port-channel issue over mpls L2 VPN

adelabaoub
Level 1
Level 1

Problem Details:

Hi all,

we have configured port-channel between Switch 1 (side 1) & Switch 2 (side 2) the 2 switchs has been connected over 2 MPLS L2 VPN Link (view attached archtitecture).

Switch 1 :

PO1 : F0/1 & F0/2 channel-group 1 mode on

Switch2 :

PO1 : F0/1 & F0/2 channel-group 1 mode on

F0/1 (SW1) to F0/1 (SW2) LINK 1

F0/2 (SW1) to F0/2 (SW2) LINK 2

the issue is when for example port f0/1 from Switch 1 is down, the ping echo-reply continue to go across link 1 because f0/1 from Switch 2 is UP & Switch2 don't have the capability to detect that port f0/1 from Switch 1 is down in order to swap the ping echo-reply to LINK 2 only.

manual solution is to shutdown port f0/1 from Switch 2.

My question :

if we have another solution when we use Port-channel over MPLS L2 VPN in order for the Switch to detect that port from other Switch is down ?

I think i can achieve what i want to accomplish using EEM scripts to detect pw-failures but i'm not familiar with EEM scripts.

your help is highly apreciated.

Regards.

ADEL.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Abaoub,

use LACP instead of channel mode on that is unconditional bundling

in this way LACP PDUs are sent over each member link and this allows for detection of remote end failure

you just need to use channel mode active to use LACP

when the port stops to receive LACP messages from the remote end it will be suspended and removed from bundle and all traffic will be sent on the surviving member link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks for your reply Giuseppe.

we have tried to use LACP with active mode but the port-channel status stay Down (the port-channel is over L2 MPLS).

with mode on directly the port-channel goes to up status.

Regards.

ADEL.

Jose Campos
Level 1
Level 1

Having the same problem, port-channel status stay Down.

Any update on this?

J

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card