match vlan 10

policy-map POLICING_VLAN
  class VLAN10
    police cir 5000000 conformed-action transmit exceed-action drop

interface Gi1/0/48
  switchport mode trunk
  service-policy input POLICING_VLAN 
  service-policy output POLICING_VLAN 

When I applied for the first time, I worked well, traffic for VLAN 10 was policed as configured. But then, I removed class-map, and re-applied it again, it didn't take any effect, traffic for VLAN 10 wasn't policed although configuration didn't throw any error.

I'm using Cisco 3850 with IOS XE 3.6.9.

Thank you for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

upgrade the switch to a newer ios that doesn't have the BUG would be the permanent fix
3.7 is ED so i would jump to denali thats been very stable fr us on 3k switches
theres a boot loader upgrade when jumping to the newer packages , make sure you read the install notes on release guide , you must be in install mode for the upgrade not bundle

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hello,

what sequence of commands did you execute ? After removing the class map and reapplying it, did you also reapply the service policy on the interface ?

Hello Georg,

These are the commands I executed when removing and re-applying QOS :

policy-map POLICING_VLAN
no class VLAN10
exit

no class-map VLAN10

no vlan 10

! Create VLAN & QOS again :
vlan 10

class-map VLAN10
match vlan 10

policy-map POLICING_VLAN   class VLAN10     police cir 5000000 conformed-action transmit exceed-action drop

I also tried to delete and re-apply service-policy on trunk interface, in both direction, but problem still there.

Thank you!

Hello,

this could be a bug. Try and reload the switch, then reapply the policy...

Thank you so much for your solution! It's worked, but just a temporary solution. Is there any long-term solution?

upgrade the switch to a newer ios that doesn't have the BUG would be the permanent fix
3.7 is ED so i would jump to denali thats been very stable fr us on 3k switches
theres a boot loader upgrade when jumping to the newer packages , make sure you read the install notes on release guide , you must be in install mode for the upgrade not bundle

Thank you so much!

no problem i went to Denali recently from standard ios-xe this is how we did it in steps below without breaking anything, may be useful :) still read the specific release below

dont use TFTP

Part A is if you need to convert from bundle to install mode
Part B is the upgrade

A if switch is in bundle mode convert it to install mode – if already install you can move direct to section B
1 Check switch is in bundle mode in show version * 1 52 WS-C3650-48PS 03.06.07b.E cat3k_caa-universalk9 BUNDLE
2 Clean the flash with software command - software clean file flash:
3 Check flash is cleaned old images are removed dir flash:
4 Re-added original .bin 3.6.7b from USB to local flash - copy usbflash0:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07b.E.152-2.E7b.bin flash:
5 Expand the software - software expand file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07b.E.152-2.E7b.bin
6 Set the bootvar to packages and save -- boot system flash:packages.conf
7 Confirm Boot is – show boot - BOOT variable = flash:packages.conf;
8 Save and Reload

B Switch is now ready for Denali upgrade
1 Check switch is in Install mode in show version * 1 52 WS-C3650-48PS 03.06.07b.E cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL
2 Copy Denali from USB to flash - copy usbflash0:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.03.07.SPA.bin flash:
3 Use software install force command to push package - software install file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.03.07.SPA.bin new force
4 Accept reload after packages removed added through install - Do you want to proceed with reload? [yes/no]: yes
5 Confirm Denali is in place and in INSTALL mode with show ver - * 1 52 WS-C3650-48PS 16.3.7 CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9 INSTALL
######################

Upgrading from Cisco IOS XE 3.xE to Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.x, 16.2.x, or 16.3.x in Bundle Mode

You cannot boot Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.1 via TFTP for the first time with a Cisco IOS XE 3.xE boot loader. The Cisco IOS XE 3.xE boot loaders have a limitation that they cannot boot an image larger than 400MB via the TFTP server. Since Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.x is larger than 400MB, you must boot the image via flash drive. Refer to the upgrade sections in install mode.

Starting from 16.3.5 release, you will not be able to boot Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.3.5 in bundle mode via flash drive for the first time with a Cisco IOS XE 3.xE boot loader. The Cisco IOS XE 3.xE boot loaders have a limitation that they cannot boot an image larger than 512MB via flash. Refer to the upgrade sections in install mode.

Upgrading from Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.1 to 16.1.x, 16.2.x, or 16.3.x in Install Mode

Follow these instructions to upgrade from Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.1 to Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.x, 16.2.x, or 16.3.x in install mode. In order to do a software image upgrade, you must be booted into IOS using the boot flash:packages.conf.

####################

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-3/release_notes/ol-16-3-3850.html#pgfId-1430489

Hello Mark Malone,

Thank you for your support!

Can I have a question : What is difference between Install Mode and Bundle Mode ? Does it affect upgrade procedure and which one will be use in normal operation ?

Thank you!

Hi just 2 different methods , newer switches seem to prefer install mode but bundle works fine too on most platforms , there is benefits to install mode like auto upgrades of new switches in stacks ,less memory but then on some switches a GB flash is required just to expand during boot so you have to clean it first too , always read the release notes of any software your adding

Install Mode

The Install mode uses a package-provisioning file named packages.conf in order to boot a switch. In addition, there are a number of .pkg files in the flash drive. We recommend that you do not alter the packages.conf and .pkg files unless directed by a Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) engineer.

Bundle Mode

The Bundle mode uses monolithic Cisco IOS images to boot a switch. The Bundle mode consumes more memory than the Install mode because the packages are extracted from the bundle and copied to RAM.

Thank you so much!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card