Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with two networks in one router

vgklezakos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I recently changed my company's router with a cisco 1941 k9 and i have a problem......

I have two networks the 192.168.1.0/24 in gig0/0 and 10.69.0.0/16 in gig0/1 Both networks have static ips

The most of the hosts are under the 10.69.0.0 but my dns server has ip 192.1.1.144 the problem is that although i can ping from one network to other i can not resolve netbios names from the network 10.69.0.0.

I already configured the ip helper-address to gig0/1

Any clue why is this happening???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

no not for netbios resolution unless you want to send your hosts a WINS server IP address.

Can you try using ip helper-address to directed broadcast IP and get sure directed broadcast are enabled on interface.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

ip helper-address is only to send the requests to DHCP server, this is not for dns resolve.
You need to configure the domain-name and name server under the DHCP config.

ip dhcp pool OFFICE
network 192.168.12.0 255.255.255.0
domain-name networkers-online.com
default-router 192.168.12.1 !– gateway address
dns-server 192.168.12.100 192.168.12.101 !– DNS servers
netbios-name-server 192.168.12.99 !– WINS servers
lease 2 !– lease time

Please rate the helpful posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Both of my networks use static ips, there is no DHCP in my network, Do i still have to configure dhcp pool ???

Thanks

Hi,

no not for netbios resolution unless you want to send your hosts a WINS server IP address.

Can you try using ip helper-address to directed broadcast IP and get sure directed broadcast are enabled on interface.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

I already have configured the ip helper-address to redirect all the broadcasts to my wins server how do i enable the directed broadcasts to an interface??

Thank you for your help !!!!! you were right i had only configured the ip helper address without broadcast forwarding

flokki123
Level 3
Level 3

hi evangelos,

have you entered the dns-server ip manually at the workstations? cause then it should work, as if the clients know the ip address of dns server they dont generate a broadcast at all and therefore the router should route the packtes.

alternatively you can also edit your "lmhost" file on the workstations.

HTH,

florian

Thank you for your reply alain was right it worked

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card