Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS: restrict TCP IP:80 traffic to a lower priority

Bruno Dinis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone..

I have some issues in my company in some offices about 20km from the Headquarters..they are always complaining about the "network speed" although I'm sure its only the Internet traffic..

I've implemented qos to voice traffic be the first priority in the connection, although I need to put tcp ip traffic: 80 (internet basically) in a lowest level at all..

Is this possible?

i've a cisco 2821 router in the office and 7206 VXR in the headquarters.

~cheers

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

yes of course you could police web traffic to a very low speed.

just match traffic in a class-map and under policy-map for this class as action choose police then apply this policy either inbound on your LAN or outbound on the WAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/12_4/qos_12_4_book.html

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

As Alain noted, it's possible.

However, when you deprioritize HTTP traffic, you might want to check it's just Internet traffic.  Now a days, lots of internal traffic might be using that protocol tool.

Also, you didn't describe your current policy.  I've found "basic" FQ will handle 90% of most routine QoS needs.  If you have real-time traffic like VoIP, class-default FQ and LLQ handle the other 9%.  If you're down to the 1%, then you can define very extensive policies to control your traffic, but at this level of control, you really need to understand how various policy settings interact with different traffic types.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

yes of course you could police web traffic to a very low speed.

just match traffic in a class-map and under policy-map for this class as action choose police then apply this policy either inbound on your LAN or outbound on the WAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/12_4/qos_12_4_book.html

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

As Alain noted, it's possible.

However, when you deprioritize HTTP traffic, you might want to check it's just Internet traffic.  Now a days, lots of internal traffic might be using that protocol tool.

Also, you didn't describe your current policy.  I've found "basic" FQ will handle 90% of most routine QoS needs.  If you have real-time traffic like VoIP, class-default FQ and LLQ handle the other 9%.  If you're down to the 1%, then you can define very extensive policies to control your traffic, but at this level of control, you really need to understand how various policy settings interact with different traffic types.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card