cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Stacking and Trunk Uplinks

osmhquser
Level 1
Level 1

I was reviewing topology at one of my field offices and noticed they are using Cisco 3750 switches that are stacked with the stack-wise cable. Additionally I noticed they had connected one port to the other port on the switches that are in the stack together as a trunk. Does this cause an issue where they have a trunk port between the two switches connected which are also stacked together?

Thx in advance for any info provided. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When the switches are stacked, there is no need to connect one switch to another via a cooper or fiber port, as the switch stack logically is one switch.  It is like connecting 2 ports together on the same switch. It can cause loop.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When the switches are stacked, there is no need to connect one switch to another via a cooper or fiber port, as the switch stack logically is one switch.  It is like connecting 2 ports together on the same switch. It can cause loop.

HTH

Thx for the response.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If the stack has an active Stack link, as Reza notes, it creates a loops (which should be blocked, by default, by STP).

If only one stack cable was used, instead of two, perhaps it was thought this would provide redundancy if the single stack cable failed.  If so, what it will do is allow two (partitioned) switches on the network "thinking" they are the same device (STP may unblock).  I.e. not good!  Redundancy should be provided by using a second stack cable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card