Views
Helpful
Replies

quickest way to duplicate configs

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I am rolling out some access switches, the config is mainly the same apart from the vlans. When I copy the text file from the saved config to the new switch, it always errors somewhere and I end up having to see what it missed.

Is there any tips for this ?

cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

carl_townshend wrote:

Hi all

I am rolling out some access switches, the config is mainly the same apart from the vlans. When I copy the text file from the saved config to the new switch, it always errors somewhere and I end up having to see what it missed.

cheers

Carl

Well make sure there are no errors is my tip of the day

Seriously though, copy and paste a bit at a time because you can actually overrun the buffer sometimes which will create problems of it's own. Is it erroring in the same place always. Remember if the vlans are different then that will affect any STP config you have for vlans, any interface configs where you have allocated interfaces to specific vlans and any L3 vlan interfaces you might create.

I personally use vi which is a unix editor and allows quick find and replace to modify vlan information but most editors have a decent find and replace function.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

carl_townshend wrote:

Hi all

cheers

Carl

Well make sure there are no errors is my tip of the day

Seriously though, copy and paste a bit at a time because you can actually overrun the buffer sometimes which will create problems of it's own. Is it erroring in the same place always. Remember if the vlans are different then that will affect any STP config you have for vlans, any interface configs where you have allocated interfaces to specific vlans and any L3 vlan interfaces you might create.

I personally use vi which is a unix editor and allows quick find and replace to modify vlan information but most editors have a decent find and replace function.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card