Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate Limit on 3560

csco11579831
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i want setup a rate limit(3Megabyte) on my Switch 3560 24PS,could you please help me about it,

Belown the info Catalyst Switch 3560:

System image file is "flash:c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE7.bin"

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              

*    1 26    WS-C3560-24PS      12.2(55)SE7           C3560-IPBASEK9-M        

Best Regard,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

csco,

This is a common mistake, don't worry about it. To the 'bandwidth' command is only a logical value. This presents a value to processes such as QoS, Routing Protocol's to create metric values, etc. This will not actually set the interface speed of the port.

You need to implement the command 'srr-queue bandwidth limit ". This value can only be 10 to 99.

In your situation this will not work, and you will need to set the speed of the interface manually to 10Mbps.

int fa0/1

speed 10

When this is done, you should do the following.

int fa0/1

speed 10

srr-queue bandwidth limit 30.

This will basically control traffic to 30 percent of 10Mbps, once speed 10 is configured.

Basically the SRR in the 'srr-queue' command is referring to the amount of traffic that you can place onto the inbound queue. So, when you set that limit to 30% of 10Mbps, you are saying only 3Mbps can be put onto the inbound queue so to speak.

Joseph feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. (Happens quite frequently )

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Well, I just have one question for you. What is the purpose of this rate limit? Is this the link going to your service provider?

Hello John Tyler Pearce

these are switch access local waterfall,

I tried the command, but it does not work
SW (conf) # interface fast 0/1
SW (conf) # bandwidth 30000

Thank you for the support!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As John asked, explaining what you're trying to accomplish would be helpful.  This because, the 3560/3750 supports policing on ingress and it also supports QoS queue "shaping" and port "shaping".

csco,

This is a common mistake, don't worry about it. To the 'bandwidth' command is only a logical value. This presents a value to processes such as QoS, Routing Protocol's to create metric values, etc. This will not actually set the interface speed of the port.

You need to implement the command 'srr-queue bandwidth limit ". This value can only be 10 to 99.

In your situation this will not work, and you will need to set the speed of the interface manually to 10Mbps.

int fa0/1

speed 10

When this is done, you should do the following.

int fa0/1

speed 10

srr-queue bandwidth limit 30.

This will basically control traffic to 30 percent of 10Mbps, once speed 10 is configured.

Basically the SRR in the 'srr-queue' command is referring to the amount of traffic that you can place onto the inbound queue. So, when you set that limit to 30% of 10Mbps, you are saying only 3Mbps can be put onto the inbound queue so to speak.

it's Great !
against by this config will not impact the qos vlan on my voice, in other words, is it possible to apply it only on an X vlan?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The bandwidth limit command applies to all (egress) traffic on the port.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Well you're keeping your statistics accurate. 

My understanding is bandwidth limit only applies to egress.  (NB: BTW, Cisco also notes: These values are not exact because the hardware adjusts the line rate in increments of six.)

hi joseph,

thanks you it works to the direction of download, but when i upload the flow is unlimited ,

can you help me pls?

Best regards,

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

For ingress you can attach a policy with a policer.  That will limit ingress bandwidth.  However, as you're policing the ingress it doesn't guarantee link bandwidth is higher than the policer's setting.

SW(config)#class-map ?

WORD       class-map name

match-all  Logical-AND all matching statements under this classmap

match-any  Logical-OR all matching statements under this classmap

SW(config)#class-map test

SW(config-cmap)#?

QoS class-map configuration commands:

description  Class-Map description

exit         Exit from QoS class-map configuration mode

match        classification criteria

no           Negate or set default values of a command

SW2#show vers

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              

*    1 26    WS-C3560-24PS      12.2(55)SE7           C3560-IPBASEK9-M     

If you're triyng to configure policing with CBWFQ, you will need to match your traffic (whatever you want to policey, then do the following.

policy-map POLICE_MAP

class class_POLICEACL

police ?

That should be able to help you out

You an police traffic inbound and outbound.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card