Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate-limiting a routed port on a Catalyst 6500

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

we have two LAN-Core switches (c6504, Sup 720 10G, 12.2(33)SXI9) at a main site and two c4500 at a remote site connected by a VPLS.

This VPLS includes hardware encryption boxes which have 1-Gbps interfaces but depending on the traffic profile (particulary packet sizes), the best throughput we can expect is ~800 Mbps.

So what we would like to achieve is some kind of control on what packets (in terms of classes) will be dropped when it comes to congestion, for example we want to avoid that routing-protocol traffic will be dropped.

A great solution would be a hierarchical (nested) policy on our LAN-interfaces, which limits the overall traffic to 800 Mbps and LLQ in the child policy.

Unfortunately nested QoS-policies are not supported on LAN-interfaces.

Now I'm searching for a solution to rate-limit our interfaces to 800 Mbps overall and at the same time make sure that only best-effort traffic will be dropped by the policer, no control-traffic or transactional data.

I couldn't find any information about how WRR deals with a policed interface, maybe it will fisrt drop exceeding packets which belong to the default-class?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Best regards

Rolf  

1 Reply 1

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

I was hoping for you to get the question answered, as I have the same problem. We are using LAN moduls for WAN traffic and thus lack the needed outbound shaping/policing capabilites.

I am thinking about investing in WAN line cards, if I don't find any other solution...

Regards

pille

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco