Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommend Cisco catalyst 2960 switch

thulanig1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

Can anyone recommend 1 or 2 switches and routers that do not make noise when in 

operation? I would like to buy them for my labs. I have been using the Cisco 2960 at work and it is

a nice switch 8 port and would like to buy it . Now for you guys ,can you recommend ?. Your recommendation should at least be like the 2960 price wise i.e. this 2960 is not new -and it is not expensive . Any ideas ?

5 Replies 5

Hi,

Usually the access switches of 1U dont make noise, if it is for your lab, I suggest Cisco 3750v2 or +. If you are going to buy an used switch, always check the condition. Usually the noise is created by faulty fans. 

About routers you can buy Cisco 1841/1921/1941/29xx or Cisco 800 series. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi,

Thank you so much. I would have responded earlier ,but the new platform here i used to pose the question is strange for me -Once i posted the question it always says there is an error till i stopped,so i was not sure whether the questions was posted or not. But thank you for the response ...let me see what i can get.

Hi,

Usually the access switches dont make noise, if it is for your lab, I suggest Cisco 3750v2 or later vesions. If you are going to buy an used switch, always check the condition. Usually the noise is created by faulty fans. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello

I have a physical lab (9x cisco 2800's -4 x3750x, 2x 2960x , 2x1941) and its been updated numerous times accommodate new ios/feature sets etc( at cost) ,and even I though I personally believe physical hardware is the best to lab on, I would defiantly recommend going virtual.

A barebones esxi hypervisor server with high memory and multiple cores running cisco VIRAL would be the future!

I am looking into this at the moment and in the long run having gone down the physical path  I really believe this will be most beneficial and less expensive not just for me but for others seeking labing cisco.

So you want to keep up to date with the new technologies and ios features before you go out and purchase new hardware , think about going virtual  as then you wont have to worry about the supporting hardware in the long run!

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you Paul - after this Cert training I will have a look at Virl - I
just remembered this one on the free webinar by Jeremy in cbtnuggets .
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card