Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reg: QoS at Layer for single VLAN

Hi,

I got a different scenario from one of my client.

My client have two different branch offices and have 50Mbps point to point connectivity between them.

All users in both braches using same series of IP pool ( 192.168.224.0/24) in both branches.

Both branches he had only Cisco 2960S series switches only. And in both branches he is using IP cameras.

He will monitor the assets by accessing IP cameras through the browser.

His requirement is, he wants to prioritize the Video traffic( monitoring through the browser) over the normal data traffic.

Note: He had a single VLAN only.

Please help me to implement the same.

Regards,

Janardhan

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Please explain the 50 Mbps.  I.e. it's technology and what it connects to.  E.g. 100 Mbps Ethernet hand-off, directly connected to a 2960S gig port running at 100 Mbps.  50 Mbps rate-limited by the provider.

Its point to point Leasedline

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Janardhan Meesala wrote:

Its point to point Leasedline

Alas, that tells me little.

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jan,

I tell u the steps you have to take, u check the link down there, and give it a try. then if u had questions, ask me.

first you have to Mark your incomming video traffic with a DSCP value, i.e. dscp 45 (packet classification using ACL and class-map)

then you have to bind those marked packets to an Egress queue (u have 4 queue's to work with) and give that queue extra bandwidth share, and threshold or buffer. do not use expedite queueing though.

then apply the SRR egress configs you did, to ur out going interfaces that u want these packets have more share of bandwidth n stuff.

on 2960 switches you have to work with ingress and egress queue's and in ur case, these queue's must be tuned on ur trunk link and outgoin interfaces, since usually ip cameras have their own int.

Here is what u have to check out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1168422

for the WAN link, it depends on its type.

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

HI Soroush,

Here i had no VLAN concept.  so i will not configure trunk port here.

Is all this configurtion will support in 2960S Switch.

Regards,

Janardhan

you wrote "Switches" i though you have more than one switch.

btw, a Trunk port doesnt just mean an interface with switchport mode trunk configured on it, wherever you get out of a stand alone switch chasis and link it to another one, to expand the network or whatever, thats so to speak, a trunk link.

what i basically meant was to configure proper qos on the links that you expect this video traffic go through. i.e. WAN link.

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

How the Switch will identify the packet contains that video payload.

Is my 2960S switch will support all these configuration????

the link i sent u above, is specificaly for 2960 switches. i believe that each IP Camera has a its own switch interface. therefore all the packets comming into an interface that an IP Cam is connected to it, is a video packet. you can classify them using ACL and Class-maps on the INPUT of each switch interface that has an IP Camera.

have a look at the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1703072

HTH

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card