cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a 24 port switch with a 48 port.

surgebot
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. 

I had a switch completely die on me. This is a first for me. It's a 24 port 3750. I only have 48 port 3750's around here that I can replace it with. I tried copying the config directly to the new switch and I'm using the same network module that was in the 24 port switch but I get nothing when I plug in to the network. I made sure that the line in my office is trunked at set to use the same native vlan as the switch network. 

I know I'm going to have to make a new crypto key but it seems like the uplink module config should just work if I gave it the same config as before and I'm using the exact same module. I feel like it has something to do with the network card only because when I plug my ethernet cable directly into a switchport I can suddenly ping the switch over the network. 

Sadly I don't have any other 10G Ethernet network modules to test out. 

What am I missing here? Is there anything else other than the ssh crypto key I'm going to have to change? The IP and VLANS are going to stay the same and of course the ports themselves will remain the same. 

Is there a downside (in the short term) to configuring a switchport to work the same as the uplink module outside of the reduced speed? 

Thanks for looking at this!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

surgebot
Level 1
Level 1

It seems my network module was bad. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

you add this SW to already L2 network? 
only check the SW STP root, is it same as before or change.
it better to check the priority of Root and config high priority to this SW this will make SW never elect as root bridge. 

The other switch completely died on me so I can't check anything on it. This is for sure not a root bridge switch. This is a switch that its at the outer perimeter. 

surgebot
Level 1
Level 1

It seems my network module was bad. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card