cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP not allowing ping through a router

joe.r
Level 1
Level 1

On packet tracer, I set up RIP via the GUIs on two routers that I want to connect via a WAN. One of the routers can be pinged to its serial port from devices on the external network side and it can be pinged to its ethernet port from devices on it's own side. But none of the pings can pass through the router. I configured OSPF after on their CLIs to see if that worked instead and I had the same problem. It's probably obvious but I'm having trouble spotting what is wrong here. Would be much appreciated if I could be pointed in the right direction.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

and make sure your clock Rate , is set on the right side , of the serial link , 

look at your controllers. 

regards JUAN

juan espinosa

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not familiar with PT but make sure both the serial and Ethernet interfaces/IP segments on the router are part of the same OSPF area.

HTH

make sure you check that your keepalives are enabled and configured correctly, that's stop me before with packet tracer, 

and your route table has full visibility, too and from you destinations , 

best of luck 

juan  

juan espinosa

and make sure your clock Rate , is set on the right side , of the serial link , 

look at your controllers. 

regards JUAN

juan espinosa

Thanks, I am now able to ping the ethernet port of a router from the router on the other side of the WAN. That shows that some packets are able to get through the serial port of that router and out of the ethernet port on it. I still can only ping the ethernet port of a router from the opposite router though. I can't get packets across the router from the end user devices the opposite router or network. Could a layer 3 switch be affecting this? I've got matching clock speeds on the serials and they're in the same OSPF area. 

joe.r
Level 1
Level 1

I solved it:)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card