Views
Helpful
Replies

Route-map

sgalarza
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have recently taken over as network administrator in our corporation, I'm trying to clean up some of our configurations on out routers.  I have come across a route-map entry and I'm wondering what the purpose of this is.  We use EIGRP for our internal routing protocol, here is the output....

route-map voip permit 100
match ip address 100 voip_lan
set ip next-hop 10.1.1.2

I have run an IP scan on the 10.1.1.2 address and it doesn't show up, I have also pinged that address and it has returned destination host unavailable.  I want to know if it's safe to remove it.

Thanks...

6 Replies 6

Hello,

if the route map is part of the active configuration, there should also be an access list 100, as well as something the route map is applied to. If those are not present, it is likely safe to remove the route map. Can you post the full configuration of the router ?

This config is a little whacky, there are no ACL's and the route map is not applied to anything that I can tell.  Here's the config:

Hello,

the route map isn't doing anything, so you can remove it.

Georg,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. 

Hello,

check if there is an access list 100 in the configuration, as well as an interface or a routing protocol where the route map is applied to. If those are not present, the route map is not active anyway, and you can remove it.

Best to post the full configuration of the router where that route map is configured on...

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

This route-map is being used for policy based routing. Basically, it's saying if there is traffic that matches access-list "100" and "voip_lan" send it towards 10.1.1.2 (next hop address).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card