cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routed VPC on Nexus 7000

aweise
Level 1
Level 1

We're implementing a router at a local branch office that's directly connected to our primary data center via two pairs of fiber. I'd like to set up a port-channel from the router to each of our Nexus 7706 chassis using VPC. We do several layer 2 VPCs already, but I'd like to do a layer 3 VPC, if possible.

The branch router is an ISR 4331 and each pair of fiber would be connected to separate interfaces. The Nexus switches are 7706 running a 6.2 NXOS version.

Will the 7706 series support a routed VPC port channel?

My other option is to set up two /30 subnets between the branch router and the 7Ks and use one fiber pair at a time - one being primary and the other being secondary - done via EIGRP metrics.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This document is a little dated but I don't think layer-3 vPC is supported. See figure-60

Your second option should work fine as depicted in figure 56 in this link

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH

Thanks - based on how I'd want to do it, a layer 3 VPC won't work. The explanation in that document makes sense. I also confirmed this with a consultant of mine.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card