cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router and Switch help!!

wright-joshua
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I am a networking student in my first year and i have to build a network using packet tracer

I have the network built and one networks ip address is 192.168.1.0 with 18 computers and then i have another network 192.168.2.0 and within each network i can get the computers to ping but when i am pinging a computer from 192.168.1.0 to another at 192.168.2.0 it wont ping?

I have a router from a server and then each switch connected to that router and then the computers conected to that switch?

Any help will be apreciated?

A screenshot of my network is attached

Thanks

Josh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You need to configure the router interfaces with IP addresses. Then point the default gateway of the your clients to the address you assigned on their local router interface. Since both of these networks are directly connected to the router you should not need any routing protocol, (rip) or even any static routes.

View solution in original post

Are the cards you installed into this router etherswitch modules? If so, they are only layer 2 capable and must be switched out for a layer 3 capable module, if you want to configure them as routed interfaces.

You are probably fine just connecting the to switches to 0/0 and 0/1, then attaching the the server to an etherswitch port, and assigning the IP address for the server subnet to an SVI (interface vlan 1).

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

There are a bunch of things that could be wrong here.

Could you post up the configs from your network decives, or at least the router?

wright-joshua
Level 1
Level 1

Here they are

Thanks

Josh

You need to configure the router interfaces with IP addresses. Then point the default gateway of the your clients to the address you assigned on their local router interface. Since both of these networks are directly connected to the router you should not need any routing protocol, (rip) or even any static routes.

It wont let me select an ip address on the router interfaces 0/0/0 to 0/1/3 any ideas why?

thanks

Josh

Not sure what you mean by select, you would type in the command "ip address 192.168.X.1 255.255.255.0" on the interfaces. Also, the interfaces that need IP addresses are the router interfaces Fa0/0 and Fa0/1 (assuming from your configs that those are the ones connected to the switches).

When i type in command to set ip address on fa 0/0 and fa 0/1 it goes trough fine but the rest it says that i havnt typed it correctly when i have becasue its worked on the other two?

Thanks

Josh

Are the cards you installed into this router etherswitch modules? If so, they are only layer 2 capable and must be switched out for a layer 3 capable module, if you want to configure them as routed interfaces.

You are probably fine just connecting the to switches to 0/0 and 0/1, then attaching the the server to an etherswitch port, and assigning the IP address for the server subnet to an SVI (interface vlan 1).

I need 7 switchs connected to the one router thats the only problem lol

I have found another router that has 4 routing ports on them and i will just have to use two of them for time being7

Got them working anyhow

Thanks Alot for your help

Josh

No problem, good luck in your studies.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card