cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router upgrade

Joli Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded a 2811 router to the latest version and apparently everything went smooth.   I reloaded and did a sh ver the IOS show the correct version, but the boot strap shows the old IOS.  How can I change the boot strap to show the new IOS                   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joli,

You seldom, if ever, upgrade the bootstrap on routers. It is not usually upgraded and therefore it is completely normal for the bootstrap - or better said, the ROMMON - to show a different version than the full IOS. The ROMMONs are not released in identical versions to IOSes, and in fact, they are released only to correct some serious errors or limitations of previous versions.

Don't worry about it. It is normal and expected.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joli,

You seldom, if ever, upgrade the bootstrap on routers. It is not usually upgraded and therefore it is completely normal for the bootstrap - or better said, the ROMMON - to show a different version than the full IOS. The ROMMONs are not released in identical versions to IOSes, and in fact, they are released only to correct some serious errors or limitations of previous versions.

Don't worry about it. It is normal and expected.

Best regards,

Peter

k thx

The latest bootstrap is 12.4(13r)T11 (April 2010).

One of the major benefits of upgrading to this version is the abililty for the router to boot from supported USB stick.  (Actually USB boot support started from T6, but who's counting anyway.)

If you are still interested, continue reading on.

To download the software go here

To upgrade the ROMmon of the router, just use the very simple command:   upgrade rom-monitor file tftp:///FILENAME

Please be aware that you will be prompted to proceed and when you hit "Y" the router will copy the file and reboot.  This is normal.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Please be aware that you will be prompted to proceed and when you hit "Y" the router will copy the file and reboot.  This is normal.

Been a while since I've updated a 2811's ROM, but I recall if you answer "N", not only will the router not reload, you'll have to do the upgrade process again.  I.e. unlike IOS, on this device, you cannot load up the new ROMMOM code and reload later.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card