cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing between 2 pairs of Nexus 7Ks

DannyHuston
Level 1
Level 1

What would be the best practice method of enabling routing (doesn't have to be dynamic but would be nice to have the option) between 2 pairs of Nexus 7Ks?   I understand VPC peer links wouldnt work and separate links with routed interfaces should work but how would this be done?   Any insight is appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To connect a pair of 7ks together, usually you use one or 2 10Gig interfaces for your VPC peerlink and one (could be 1 or 10Gig) for your routed (L3) links.

HTH

Thanks but I'm aware how to connect a pair of 7Ks.  My question is what is best practice to connect TWO pairs of 7Ks through Layer 3 (no layer 2).  Lets say I have the following

First pair

N7K1-A and N7K1-B  (they host a subnet 10.10.10.0/24)

Second pair

N7K2-A and N7K2-B  (they host a subnet 20.20.20.0/24)

Does it make sense then to create a layer 3 interface and cable up N7K1-A to N7K2-A  and the same on the other side N7K2-B and N7K2-B (not a mesh setup).   They route to each other using those Layer 3 interfaces as next hop.   This could cause potential loops so I'm looking for best way to do this.

It should work fine and not cause any loop since the links will be routed (layer-3).

You can simply enable OSPF and each router and let it take the shortest path to any destinations.

If you are planning to use static routes then you can define the second static route on each router with a higher admin distance.  For example on N7K1-A the primary static route to 20.20.20.0/24 would be  N7K2-A and the redundant route would be over the routed link to N7K1-B with higher admin distance.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card